Friday, September 19, 2008

Arrrrg Me Maties!

Did you know today is "Talk Like a Pirate Day"? September 19 every year!

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

"Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense
of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check
it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"
Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily
with everything you just said or did."
Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that
sir, as soon as my break is over."
Arrr! - This one is often confused with
arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin.
"Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this
beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it
sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a
few of the myriad possibilities."

2 comments:

Jon said...

Some one sponsored NPR and dedicated it to their kids on Talk Like A Pirate Day... why can't us without kids have some fun too!

Dawn said...

Hahaha, actually, I didn't think it was ment for kids. Pirates are a bit too scary for mine, so I celebrated with Buffet music and rum and cokes.
That's the way I think the pirates would have wanted it.
Next year, we will celebrate together!! Make a note and circle the date (I'll bring the rum!)