Friday, January 9, 2009

Kate As Teacher, Feminist, Genius!


I am raising a feminist! I am so excited! Today when I asked Kate if her twins are "boy babies or girl babies" she looked at me and with a slightly surprised look and quite simply said, "They are babies". Well taught Kate, well taught! She reminded me of the best parts of my college years, my "Gender in Communication" classes. I am a huge proponent of Gender-neutral language, particularly in the environment of children. I try to frame Ashton & Kate's view of the world in ways that are not over simplifying. I want the world around them and their experiences to not be limited by their chromosones, but by what they value and are interested in.

If you are curious about Gender-Neutral Communication, check out Wiki's results here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_language_in_English

No comments: