Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Most Important Election of My Adult Lifetime


Today I headed to the library to return a few books, grab some DVDs for the kids and pick out an audio book for my long Sunday car rides and was caught completely off guard by the lack of parking spaces at the normally deserted library. When I finally pulled into the grass in what I deemed a "parking spot" I stepped out into the blistery cold and extremely windy day to assess what was going on. I had to walk pass a line stretching down the side of the building, full of people of all different ages, genders and races. Some of the line were elderly, huddled together over walkers and in wheelchairs; some mothers with small babies wrapped in blankets; all it turns out waiting to cast their early voting ballots for the upcoming elections.


I cannot say what an impression this made on me. All of these people, waiting what turned out to be a two hour wait in very cold temperatures, simply to exercise their basic American right to vote and to make a difference. I knew this election would encourage voter turnout, but I had not expected the scene I saw today. What an amazing time this is and I am proud to be of age in this election. Regardless of the outcome, I see myself sharing stories with my children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren of how I waited my turn to cast my vote in this election of historic importance.


I also heard something on NPR's "Talk of the Nation" election discussion today that was so poetic and filled with such hope I don't think I'll forget it ever. It seemed to ring true with what I want for my own children, simply the opportunity to be who they want to be and do what they want to do, with no limitations but the sky. (I must admit I was jealous and wish I had thought of it, but glad someone had. )





"Rosa (Parks) sat, so Martin (Luther King, Jr.) could walk. Martin walked,
so Obama could run. Obama is running so our children can fly."

No comments: