Friday, October 3, 2008

Ever Read "The Paper Bag Princess"?



If you haven't checked out "The Paper Bag Princess" by Robert Munsch, you should. Great feminist children's book with a strong and independent lead character that happens to be a female. It's one of Ashton's favorite books and came recommended by Owen's mother Karen. Great alternative to the classic "woman as a victim".




The other day I was in Old Navy looking for jackets for the kids when I spotted the coolest all-in-one Halloween costumes. One in particular caught my eye, the fire engine red dragon suit. Basically it's a fleece jumpsuit with extras like blue wings attached with a head that doubles as a hood that turn it into a dragon. I convinced Paul and the kids to come up there with me and had Ashton check all the selections out. At first he liked the monkey, then he saw the dragon and the decision was made. We took him back to the dressing room and had him try it on. Once the top and bottom were on (the best thing about this costume is it consists of putting on pants and a jacket, feet and hands are attached) he FLEW out of the dressing room to check himself out in the three way mirror. He then proceeded to run around the giant store roaring at anyone and anything that he passed. Kate thought it was great fun and wanted me to put her butterfly costume on so she could do the same. While Paul checked out a few pairs of 36x36 denim, I wrangled a roaring purple butterfly (the dressing room clerk renamed her a dragon fly) and a fire breathing dragon who would not answer to "Ashton", only to "Dragon".



Ashton was insistent on wearing the costume out of the store and even to bed that night. As my little red dragon and I snuggled in bed I read him "The Paper Bag Princess" and, as the dragon in the story feel asleep, so did mine, in perfect timing. To see him enjoy something so much, in such an ordinary way, fills up my soul and replenishes me. I never knew that being a parent was going to be like this and don't want these times to ever end.





Also, FYI --- After consulting her, I exchanged Kate's butterfly for a princess costume and figured that since dragons always seem to hold princesses hostage, the costumed pair would make more sense. Now, if I could just get her to wear it....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the dragon suit. My daughter always dresses like Princess Bubble-which is similar in some ways to The Paper Bag Princess.