Friday, October 10, 2008

Bad Economy = Time To Rethink "Wealth"

As the economy stumbles and slides, I've observed the stress levels of people all around me inch upward. As the overall financial health of this country is beyond my power (other than making sure I cast my ballot in Nov), I've decided to turn my eyes toward the things in my life I can control and the happiness I get from them. Here goes!



  • Picking up Kate from preschool every day and the always getting a big hug and even bigger smile followed by "Mommy's here!" (as if we've been away from each other 4 months as opposed to 4 hours)

  • Hearing Ashton always ask for seconds, not for himself, but to ensure Kate gets whatever it is he is getting

  • Watching the leaves change on the trees and realizing how wonderful fall is in NC. I'm thankful that nature takes no notice of the NYSE!

  • Buddy, the coolest cat of all time, is mine and always has time for me to pet him and cuddle with him.

  • Having a good man for a husband. One that is patient, even keeled and a good father to our children.

  • Meeting new and always interesting people in my job and seeing them insist on having fun, no matter what type of day they had

  • Loving my neighbors and the fact that we all know each other by first name

  • Listening to my niece's voice over the phone. (It's so adorable and tiny)

  • Having both my mother and father alive and around for me, but also for my children to know their grandparents (Both of my grandfathers had passed away before I was born)

  • Talking to my grandmothers, both of them, and realizing what huge impacts they've both had on my life and how lucky I am to have to help me parent my little ones

  • Having a great mother-in-law that truly loves her grand kids and who's grand kids love her

  • Thinking ahead to how this will be the first halloween both of the kids will really be into it and how much fun it's going to be to take my little red dragon and fair maiden princess out to trick-or-treat!

  • While we have little left over, I am happy that both Paul and I have jobs and are able to pay all our bills each month and on time!

  • Realizing that myself, my husband and my children are all healthy

I mean, really, happiness come not from what happens to you in life but how you react to it right? So, while my retirement savings circle the drain (remember, my background is in the financial industry) all I can do is look forward to working the rest of my life and raising kids that will do well enough to support me in my twilight years! ;)

No comments: