Friday, July 4, 2008

I Touched a Zebra Today...


Today, in honor of America's birthday, we left the country! Well...not REALLY! But it did feel as if we stepped off a puddle jumper onto a safari through the Serengeti. We then had to "return" as the monsoon season began.

You see, up in Mooresville, NC there is a privately owned ranch that is home to an amazing variety of exotic animals. As you slowly drive your own car through 3.5 miles of trail, you pass Ostriches as tall as your car, deer that come right up to your window looking for kibbles and come eye to eye with Emus that stare you into submission! The whole experience was amazing, just under an hour from our home.
Kate thoroughly enjoyed the giant "ducks" as she called them, sending out a wild laugh each time they would come to the window. Ashton was fascinated by the dark black and white pigs that seemed to roam everywhere, asking again and again if they were coming to his room (see earlier post ~Pigs & Poultry). Paul enjoyed the camels and rhinoceros the most and I, well, I was simply amazed by the sheer size of the Zebras. For some reason I thought they were more pony-sized than Clydesdale-sized!
I was suprised that Paul allowed me to unbuckle the children from their car seats, but almost fell on the floor when he agreed to let them take turns sitting on his lap and "driving". At one point Ashton even had full control of the steering wheel when Paul lifted his hands up to give him a chance. I really enjoyed witnessing these father/son and father/daughter moments.
As it was hot and VERY sticky outside, we ended up not staying as long as we would have liked at the petting area/pirate ship playground/porch swings. The rumble of distant thunder quickly approaching drove us into our car and back towards Charlotte. Just as we got on 85S, the heavens opened up and down came the rain. Normally I'm not scared of some water on my windshield, but the more cars we passed that had pulled over due to the downpour, the more nervous I became. We soon passed a car in a ditch facing the wrong way then witnessed another car fly off the road going about 80 MPH and into the middle median. The children also didn't like the loud roaring of the rain on our van and soon became scared.
To comfort Kate after seeing a very frightened look not leaving her face, I reached back to hold hold her hand, even though I was expecting her to jerk it away as she always does. But this time, she held my hand the whole way home, even asking to hold Daddy's hand as well. I will admit that, however selfish it may seem, I am glad she was scared and really enjoyed comforting her and the feeling of her still tiny hand curled around my first two fingers.

I really had a wonderful time and can't wait to take the kids and hope to take Angelique again soon.

Check out all the photos from my cell phone (camera battery had died) here - http://www.the704reids.shutterfly.com/

No comments: