Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dawn's Post About Jonathan's Post


From Jonathan B's Blog (I'd Buy You a Monkey)-http://http//idbuyuamonkey.blogspot.com/2008/12/meeting-someone-you-already-know-kinda.html

(Jonathan Wrote)On Sunday I got to go to a Charlotte 49ers game with Dawn, a long but not lost friend from Jr. High School. While at the Northeast, I shared several classes with Dawn, I know we ate lunch at the same table at times and would also talk in the mysterious wasteland that was the grouping of benches behind the cafeteria. After leaving grade schools we never really had any contact. Hence the beauty of facebook.



(My responses) I have to agree with Jonathan, but I remember having a closer bond with the people I went to Northeast with because, well, we were the "smart kids". If you took Academically Gifted classes, there was only 1 or 2 for each subject a day. So, pretty much, you had the same kids in all the same classes (give or take a few electives) with you for the entire year while you were there. I remember all my Northeast classmates so much more than any other school I went to.


(J)Through facebook, I got to learn about what she was up to now. I read through her profile and she even posted a picture of me from the eighth grade. I would read her blog (to the right on my links) about parenting, she would comment on mine.




(D)I've "friend-ed" a few other people from Northeast and other parts of my distant childhood past on Facebook, but I haven't found a way to re-include them in my grown-up life. I will admit, Jonathan, you were the first! I recently explained to my mother who I was going to the UNCC game with, and all I could tell her was "With a guy that I used to know back in the day. Found him again on the internet. He reads my blog about everything in my life and I read his postings about his car and his new house, but I haven't seen him face to face in 10 years." And, well, actually maybe 2-5 years ago this would be weird, but it's pretty common place now for most the late-20's and under crowd.




(J)I posted available tickets here, she took me up on the offer. As an aside, we got four adults and three kids in for free, wicked awesome. I met her husband and kids, got to know her a little bit about what she did in the 9 years or so that had passed between us.



(D)I was actually thinking, during the game, that if I were to reconnect with someone from the past again, at an event is probably the best bet. Watching the game and having action in front of us made the awkward silences that usually happen in the reacquainting of anyone, even through Facebook, a whole lot less awkward, at least for me. It was nice to have something to watch if the conversation stalled for a moment or two. GREAT IDEA JONATHAN!




(J)The best part and to me most interesting part was getting to know someone you kind of already know. Most of time when you first meet someone you are trying to figure out if they are a good person, you are hoping that they are not crazy. You are trying to see if there is something about them that would prevent a friendship. This time is different because those questions were answered a long time ago. So I just had to listen to what she actually had to say and get to know all about her. So really, I was getting to know someone I already know.



(D)I don't know if I agree with you on all of that, because after 10 years, you are a completely new person and I don't know if I "already know you". I would have probably thought of seeing you at the game as actually meeting the grown-up Jonathan B. for the 1st time, if I had not been an avid reader of your blog and social site profiles. Like, for instance, if we had met in passing through a mall and had exchanged numbers, I would have been a whole lot more nervous than after all the info we've exchanged online. Does that make sense? So, you kinda new a "Dawn Rossmeisl" from jr. high, but you also kinda knew a "Dawn Reid" from the internet. And the same for me. (P.S. Just so you know, we are crazy though. But it's in a good way)




(J)No clue weather that makes sense. I look forward to hanging out with Dawn and family again soon.



(D)Either way, after having moved around quite a bit in high school and there after, it was so great to reconnect with someone from a much simpler time in my life. I don't know if you realized it, but when I talk with you or think about those days, they were right before my life got super complicated and I enjoy the nostalgia. Thanks for taking a chance on us and I look forward to meeting your wife and hanging out again! Merry Christmas Eve!




Side Note - I applaud Jonathan and find him brave. You see, I took the less brave route of ensuring safety in numbers. I brought my husband, two kids, brother and nephew. Jonathan showed up solo and didn't seem intimidated at all.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I guess I should have given the internet more credit, but I appreciate your thoughts. My wife and I both look forward to meeting up some time soon. You guys are a big crowd, but not the least bit intimidating! Merry Christmas!!!