Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Years Have Rolled Around....


Today Ashton, Kate, Paul and I took Scott and Gavin roller skating for Scott's birthday. Kate was so excited and couldn't wait to get her skates on. Ashton was amp'd up and was ready to go. Paul was nervous and mumbling things to himself along the lines of "It better be like riding a bike...". I was just happy to have the kids out of the house doing a physical activity. We had a blast.

Ashton looked like an octopus on wheels because at his skate size the wheels moved. Because Kate has smaller feet, the skating rink fixed the wheels so the wouldn't roll. She basically walked around the rink and danced to the music.

Gavin slept peacefully in his "wheels" (stroller) and when he awoke watched his daddy fly around the rink countless times, happy and smiling.


The afternoon took me back to the weekends of my youth, being dropped off at the rink around 7pm and being picked up at 11pm, spending time as an adolescent among my friends discovering who I was and where I fit in.

The most amazing part of the whole afternoon with my kids was laughing to myself how the Hokey Pokey song played was the exact same version that was played when I was a kid. Somethings never change!

No comments: